It is the season for gratitude, an emotion that, unfortunately, does not seem to come naturally for us. But we can intentionally choose to be grateful.
As we celebrate American Thanksgiving with gratitude and thanksgiving, many books come to mind. Here are a few of my favourites:
- Diana Butler Bass’s book Grateful: The Subversive Practice of Giving Thanks
- Ann Voskamp’s wonderful book: One Thousand Gifts
- Janice Kaplan’s recent book: The Gratitude Diaries
- Brother David Steidl-Rast: Gratefulness, The Heart of Prayer
- Joshua Choonmin Kang: Spirituality of Gratitude: Unexpected Blessings of Thankfulness
And if you want an inspiring short meditation on gratitude, as a prelude to your Thanksgiving meal, nothing can beat this video by Brother David Steindl-Rast.