When I posted this afternoon that I had just made chocolate zucchini bread I was deluged with requests for the recipe so here it is. I have adapted this over the years – substituted Greek yoghurt for buttermilk, whole wheat for plain flour and I use just plain stewed apples instead of apple sauce. Give it a try. I highly recommend it. I usually make mini muffins rather than 2 loaves of bread.
It is wonderful with cream cheese frosting.
Chocolate Zucchini Bread or Muffins
– 3 Eggs
– 1 1/2 cups Brown Sugar,Firmly Packed
– 3/4 cup Oil (safflower or canola)
– 2 ounces Unsweetened Chocolate,Melted, or 4 tablespoons cocoa
– 2 teaspoon Vanilla
– 2 cups Zucchini,Grated
– 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
– 2 teaspoon Baking Soda
– 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
– 1/2 cup Pecans,Sliced, optional
– 3/4 cups Chocolate Chips
– 2 cups Wheat Flour
– 2 cup All Purpose Flour
– 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
– 1 cup Apple Sauce
– 1/2 cup milk
1. Beat eggs in a food processor until lemon colored, add sugar and oil, apple sauce, yoghurt and vanilla . Stir in melted chocolate or cocoa, add vanilla and stir in zucchini. Sift dry ingredients and stir into zucchini mixture. Stir in nuts and chocolate chips. Grease two 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pans. Divide dough between pans. Bake at 350℉ for 50 minutes or until done. Cool in pans for 15 minutes. Turn out on cake rack to finish cooling.
2. Alternatively place spoonfuls of mixture in greased muffin pans. I usually use mini muffin pans. This recipe makes 24 mini muffins plus one loaf or 24 full size muffins, or 2 loafs (I make these when I don’t have time to do the muffins.) It stores well in the freezer.
3. If you do not have baking chocolate use 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
looks yummy – must try this!
[…] bread I had just made. There were so many cries for the recipe that I ended up posting my favourite chocolate zucchini bread recipe. As many of you know I have also been processing tomatoes and in this case have been sent recipes […]